by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Project Manager : Project Manager June July 2013
24 Project Manager Lessons learnt, knowledge earnt Project managers are putting their lessons into practice as they roll out the largest telecommunications reform in Australian history. BENJAMIN MILLER PROJECT: National Broadband Network SCOPE: Provide high-speed broadband access to all Australians COMPLETION: June 2021 •CASE STUDIES KEY PLAYERS SENATOR THE HON PENNY WONG, Federal Minister for Finance and Deregulation; Shareholder Minister, NBN Co SENATOR THE HON STEPHEN CONROY, Federal Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy; Shareholder Minister, NBN Co MICHAEL QUIGLEY, CEO NBN Co GREG THORNTON, NSW East Region Project Manager, NBN Co KEY CHALLENGE The scale of the NBN project poses two key challenges: workforce mobilisation and stakeholder management. With a region sometimes consisting of more than 30 areas, and each area requiring several specialised work crews of approximately 25 people at any one time, regional PMs need to keep teams moving and synchronised with various timelines. Furthermore, each region has a range of stakeholders, from local governments to Telstra and from delivery partners to fellow regional PMs, not to mention the general public. Managing such diverse interests requires consistent, carefully planned communication. The Coalition's 'Fast. Affordable. Sooner.' plan, recently announced in the lead-up to the September federal election, advertises download speeds of between 25 and 100 megabytes per second, a more affordable monthly cost, and a target for the rollout to be completed by 2019, with a mainly copper-based network. A website comparing the download times for an episode of popular television series Game of Thrones (howfastisthenbn. com.au) has received substantial attention, while further fuel for the debate is added by reports that only 4 per cent of the population currently has access to the service. BACKGROUND BRIEFING In April 2009, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd completed a Request for Proposal process and announced an unprecedented spend of $43 billion on a National Broadband Network (NBN) to deliver high-speed, affordable internet access to the vast majority of Australians. Shortly after, NBN Co Limited was formed as a Government-owned Business Enterprise charged with connecting 93 per cent of Australian homes by fibre to a broadband network with a minimum speed of 12Mbps; the remaining 7 per cent of Australians will be connected by wireless or satellite. After initial broad-scale costing, NBN Co revised the price tag to $37.4 billion, leaving Government to contribute $30.4 billion, primarily to upgrade existing copper infrastructure with fibre cable capable of the required speeds, and private business to contribute the remainder, mainly to connect individual houses to the network. As the network is rolled out, NBN Co will manage its use and is expected to create revenue to repay the Government's investment by 2034. Initially, the rollout is a large-scale engineering project. A large optic fibre ring, called the transit network, will stretch around Australia. Smaller rings will loop from the transit network to telephone exchanges. From there, a fibre will stretch from telephone exchanges to pass home and business premises.
Project Manager Apr May 2013
Project Manager Aug Sept 2013